Tuesday 24 September 2019

Memory At Seven


                            Memory At Seven


        The first memory of my mother  was at seven in our room and palor house at Egbe road. A largely populated area dominated by the very average and extremely above average people who live in one day peace one day war with their face me I face you neighbor. We had recently moved from Jaba, another small city in Kano where we left for during the Abacha stove era. My sister and I.
     I got up very early to take my shower. I looked up at the white rounded faced wall clock above the florescent light in our parlor minutes after minutes. I had recently been made the head girl of my school. I wrapped round my towel that had become deep earthen brown. The compound had two bathrooms with a slimy corridor and slippery walls surrounded by rats running ahead once the swish of matches is heard. To move the school forward was my one point agenda!
      It had rained the previous night and I had recently got a blue and white striped flay skirt with a tank top. The sun was setting. I leaned on the gate. It overlooks the street. Just across mama Mayorkun had placed a very massive pot on the fire that has three horns underneath while  Fatima and Afsat played different the same.
       Just ahead of the street I saw a woman with a yellow and green matted basket. The street no longer bustles as churches has taken over all residential homes. I stare as she proceeds with this air, this grace I could simply not understand. She smiles. I wonder.  her. A tickle in my heart recognizes her but I did not run to get her things nor embrace her. She must be tired her gait says that while the slouching of the basket indicates its heavy content. I must have been ashamed or disappointed  or maybe  to have the pity of people around when they say that is your mum and to blame my step mother for being the reason for such a rift. I walk slowly with my head facing downward while holding the black nylon where something lukewarm presses against my palms as  she scans my head and scratches off dirt with eyes of pity on us from my neighbors.

They had fight.  My father and  mother. My father for many days will simply look through the window. This recognizable stranger was who my mother had become.


S.J

HISTORICAL PLACES IN KANO:TIGA DAM(1971-1974)

Just like many start up with right intentions and motives, TIGA DAM located at Kano was created with the intentions of irrigation for farme...